Saturday 2 August 2014

What is your SHU?

Acronym SHU stands for  Scoville's Heat Units. It is the measure of pungency of chillies. Just to let you know,  Bhoot Jolokia of Assam is one of the hottest chilies in the world. It's SHU value is so high(1,041,427)  that it is used in hand grenades by Indian Army. This piece of General Knowledge made it's way into my data bank today morning only through one of the FM channels of radio.

Now that I have got my new found knowledge and I am feeling enlightened, I think SHU is quite underutilized as a measure.Why can't human tongue(read opinions and voice) be measured on SHU . Well I know there are people who would be zero on Scoville's scale (just like Bell Pepper) as their talks are always saccharine laden ;). Personally I don't have much liking for this type.I myself have got quite an acerbic tongue and as you know birds of same feathers flock together so I need not explain my affinity explicitly. If only sharpness of tongue can be measured in SHU mine would be somewhere 10000. This is purely self assessment and value may vary with third party assessment ;).  Don't be boggled by huge number because I have taken  base unit as 1000.I am assuming that everyone has somewhat acerbic tongue. Fair assumption, Isn't it?

Based on these assumptions and limitations, took a shot at making  SHU table for our near dear ones , the table might look like this(Please note that the saccharine laden tongues are out of scope of this computation.)
Disclaimer: This table is work of pure fiction. Any resemblance to living or dead is purely coincidental 

There is an age old adage in Hindi  " तीर से निकला कमान और मुँह से निक्ला  वचन  वापिस नहीं आता" . The purport of this adage is that one should take care of acerbic tongue because once spoken can not be undone. That is quite true but that should not be over  interpreted. Giving respect to people is fine but as per my view we really need to get acerbic too if situation demands. Don't you know too much of sugar causes diabetes !

What do you say? Anyway how do you rate yourself on Scoville's scale ?



No comments:

Post a Comment