Tuesday 29 July 2014

Euphemism...the way of life

According to dictionary definition of Euphemism - The substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.

Just wondering what all euphemisms we use in our day today life. Nature's call, bun in oven, passed away, differently abled are few of the euphemisms which we come across. There are many more like these. There is a lot available in our story books, newspapers, magazines and in our daily conversations.

My objective is not to talk about these common euphemisms. I am just trying to mention few which are actually totally opposite of what we mean :). I came across a very apt quotation for that - "Euphemisms are pleasant truths wearing diplomatic cologne". Examples of such usage are -
  • " I am unwell, won't come to office"  actually means "Boss , I just don't want to see your face today" !
  • "I will put my best foot forward " means  "Damn it Why should I spend my energy in this freaking work"
  • "You are so cuddly" is "OMG you are so fat !!"
  • "You look different" does mean  "You looking awful"
  • "Can I please call you later" may mean "Stop bothering me and calling me.
  • "You know so much" may mean "Would you mind shutting up your Google engine"
These were the few I could think from top of my head. I know there are many more nasty ones lurking around you. Keep adding if they are shareable ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment